Friday, November 8, 2019

Reading Reflection No. 2

The book that I chose to read for this assignment was The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki.

1) The general theme of this book is that social media is a powerful tool that can really boost a company's performance if used correctly or hurt it if used poorly.

2) Currently I am enrolled in Social Media and Society so a lot of the topics covered in the book were already familiar to me but what I thought really helped connect these lessons to the class were the real life examples that it provided. A big part of entrepreneurship is learning from other people's mistakes or success but you can only learn from things that you've experienced or researched/read yourself.

3) If I were to create an assignment for the class based off the book that I read, I would assign a story or some kind of business update for social media and then make the students change the format of the message to fit its respectful social media channel.

4) Honestly, I was surprised at learning how to respond to negative comments. I've always figured that unless it involves tech support or something then negative comments should be left alone, but according to Guy Kawasaki it's actually best to reply to them one at a time. This makes sense to me now because it shows that the business/company is open to criticism and willing to take the time to make the customer experience better.

3 comments:

  1. Brady,
    Although I did not read this book, the book I read had a similar message about social media. From the book I read, a big part of entrepreneurship is to pay attention to your competitors mistakes as well. It is important to watch what others are doing and incorporate the techniques that are successful in a way that is uniquely yours. Great job summarizing what you learned. In the future, you may want to add a picture of the book you read to make your post more aesthetically appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brady,
    I think that you could have expanded a bit on your theme so that I could have gotten a better grasp of what your book was about. I do think that you chose a good book for you since you are enrolled in a social media class. I think you could have related what your book to our class a bit more but I thought it was good you related it to another class you are taking. I also find it very interesting that Guy Kawasaki replies to each negative comment individually but like you I can see how that could be valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brady,
    I did not read this book, but it drew my interest even just from reading its title. I agree with what you said the general theme was, this being that social media can heavily influence a company’s performance, but I would have appreciated if you went even more in-depth as to what this truly means. Your post was very interesting and made me want to read this book myself! Good job!

    ReplyDelete